There is no doubt that the performance review phrases of your team are an essential part of motivating your employees and keeping them happy in their work. While there are many ways to go about doing this, the goal of every performance review should be the same: to keep your team members striving toward success and help them do even better next time around.
So, to make sure you hit the right note with your feedback, here are some of the most effective performance review phrases to use when conducting remote performance appraisals with your team members this year.
Table of Contents
55 Effective Performance Review Phrases For Remote Teams
It is vital to take note that regardless of whether you give the sharpest, most detailed, most inspirational, and customized performance reviews, doing it in the absence of others’ feedback will not take you far. Therefore, performance review phrases should exist within a more central performance management environment to be successful.
It incorporates yearly and mid-year audits. Apart from this, it includes regular check-ins, delivering ordinary applause, and an overall culture of criticism.
Different Categories of Employee Performance
Here, in this guide, we will let you know about different classifications of employee performance, trailed by explicit instances of performance review phrases. The vast majority of the performance appraisals that we have features are utilized to show that an employee either meets or exceeds expectations.
Communication And Co-Operation
When assessing workers on communicative and co-operational skills, please make sure to go past their capacity to send concise and compact emails. It is a fact that communication skills vary from person to person.
Therefore, it is critical to explicitly discuss how an employee’s communication skill upholds their accomplishment in the job, whether by extending associations with organization accomplices or providing constructive feedback and clear direction.
Here, we have added a few performances review phrases that indicate that an employee is exceeding or meeting communication expectations:
- Frequently requests prompt criticism to ensure and clarify understanding
- Regularly asks thoughtfully formed or well-prepared questions
- Asks follow-up inquiries that pinpoint misconceptions or an absence of foreknowledge
- Exhibits a comical inclination and brings liveliness to the business transactions
- Comfortably says, “I don’t know. Can I get you back later?”
- Ask other workers for their perspectives and make your co-workers feel happy with contributing
- Builds solid working associations with other inner divisions
- Allows others to collaborate, communicate and cooperate by sharing knowledge and welcoming others to do likewise
- Unequivocally conveys key results, objectives, and expectations to colleagues
Now, we will be talking about some performance review phrases that show that employees need to make improvements in communication and cooperation:
- It can be wordy that making it hard for them to impart an unmistakable message
- Breaks down the complicated issues into manageable and sensible parts
- Much of the time arrives behind schedule at meetings and upsets the work process for other workers
- Always takes credit for the works done by others, particularly when it is not merited
- Does not share information with other workers unless they request it straightforwardly
When it comes to elaborating on achievements, managers must highlight the employees’ performance. They need to tell how their performance is helping the organization to achieve goals and schedules.
Here, we have added some employee performance review phrases that indicate that an employee is exceeding or meeting achievement expectations:
- Improve the communication process by including up to three explicit examples
- Improve production or service to a certain extent. For example: improve X service or X product by Y%
Phrases that indicate that the workers need to make improvements in achievement expectations:
- Frequently reports the absence of required resources that will help them to play their job role adequately
- Faces problems when it comes to delivering error-free work and meeting the project deadlines
- Often fails to give timely updates or make demands for help when tasks are not going in the expected direction
Teamwork And Collaboration
The success of the organization relies upon teamwork and collaboration among the employees. As in physical teams, one of the most important aspects to evaluate in remote teams is teamwork.
A good employee is the one who is open to teamwork and collaboration, and you can use our work from home performance review examples for your next review.
Here, we will discuss the performance review phrases showing an employee is exceeding or meeting collaboration expectations.
- Elevates the team’s productivity and performance by adding a few examples
- Advances team cooperation and encourages participation from different members
- Fabricates effective teams by assisting colleagues with taking advantage of their natural abilities
- Cultivates a feeling of solidarity in groups, which empowers individuals to achieve the true goal
- Gives respect to respectful dialogue when settling interpersonal challenges and problems
- Delivers a positive attitude and encouragement to adjust the constructive criticism
Here, we have added performance review examples showing an employee has to improve in collaboration:
- Unable to provide hands-on support or emotional encouragement to colleagues who are battling
- Discourages colleagues by interfering in team meetings
- Shows unusual behaviors and reacts aggressively when their position is challenged
Creativity And Innovation
When you focus on the organization’s growth, you need creative employees who can produce innovative ideas. In addition, employees can generate fresh hypotheses, and problem-solving tactics can positively help the organization’s growth. Therefore, it is vital to acknowledge the employees’ creativity in problem-solving and idea generation.
Performance review examples that indicate that the employee is exceeding or meeting the innovation expectations:
- Makes an interpretation of innovative thoughts into a viable application to solve critical issues
- Induces inventive cooperation in groups by welcoming different viewpoints
- Settled long-standing X issue with the innovative workaround
- Consistently delivers innovative solutions when stood up to obstructions
- Has the capability to understand when to go with creative risks and when to stay with the more traditional arrangements
- Drives innovativeness across the group by searching out alternative perspectives and embracing trial and error
- Thinks out of the box to find out the best answer for a specific issue
- Shrewd changes when given new data and thoughts
- Contributes creative thoughts in a bunch of projects
- Urges associates to be imaginative
Now, we will be covering some employee performance review phrases that clearly show that an employee will have to make improvements in innovation
- Struggles to make adjustments as per the needs of the client
- Shows hesitance in embracing new thoughts and methodologies
- Showing unwillingness to embrace the creative thoughts of peers
- Exhibits a lack of engagement in contributing inventive or creative ideas
- Is reluctant and inflexible to adjust when given new information
- Appears to be reluctant to face challenges, even after presenting a convincing explanation
- Fails to encourage others to take innovative and creative risks
- Reluctant to track down more successful ways of taking care of job activities
Flexibility And Adaptability
Flexibility and adaptability are other skill sets playing a crucial role in the organization’s growth. Especially when you’re conducting a performance review for remote employees. There are many possible problems an employee can face while working remotely, and it is important to adapt to these unexpected hardships easily. Use our selection of performance review phrases examples to see if your remote employees are up for a flexible approach!
Here, we have added performance review phrases showing an employee is exceeding or meeting the flexibility as well as adaptability expectations:
- Shows positive attitude and management skills
- Keeps up with levelheadedness when confronted with unforeseen or unpleasant circumstances
- Is putting up with constructive criticism and constructive feedback
- Stays calm under extreme pressure
- Rapidly adjusts to another activity when an unforeseen issue emerges
Now, we will be talking about the employee performance review phrases that show that an employee will have to make improvements in adaptability and flexibility
- Shows hesitation when it comes to taking new assignments
- Becomes unfocused and frustrated when confronted with unexpected challenges
- Does not perform well when requires a serious level of adaptability
- Becomes unsettled when the arrangement changes
Leadership and Guidance
Evaluating leadership skills are important, especially for promising employees that can become your next leaders. Don’t be fooled by thinking that leadership is not a crucial skill for remote employees, since every organization needs new leaders. That’s why you need performance review phrases for your next performance review on leadership.
Now, let’s see some employee performance review phrases about leadership and guidance:
- Displays strong leadership skills by setting clear goals and expectations for remote team members
- Leads by example, exhibiting a strong work ethic and commitment to the team’s goals
- Provides timely and constructive feedback to remote team members, helping them improve their performance
- Gives tasks and responsibilities effectively, using the strengths of individual team members
- Shows excellent problem-solving skills in resolving conflicts and addressing challenges within the remote team
We can’t just talk about positive performance review phrases, so here are some examples that shows an employee lacks excellent leadership skills:
- Fails to inspire or motivate the remote team, resulting in low morale and decreased productivity
- Shows a tendency to micromanage remote team members, impeding their autonomy and creativity.
- Creates a negative work environment through a lack of respect and appreciation for remote team members’ efforts
It’s easy to get carried away and lose track of time while working from home. The distractions you face at a home-office are countless! That’s why although time management is an important skill for all employees, it’s crucial for remote ones. We recommend including a part where you evaluate time management in your next performance appraisal for remote employees.
Here are our remote employee performance review phrases for evaluating time management:
- Consistently meets or exceeds productivity targets and deadlines, demonstrating excellent time management skills
- Sets challenging but achievable goals for remote team members, encouraging a culture of high performance
- Takes ownership of tasks and projects, showing accountability and delivering high-quality results
- Sets clear and realistic timelines for projects, resulting in successful and timely outcomes
- Effectively prioritizes tasks and focuses on high-priority projects
- Adapts quickly to changing priorities and deadlines, effectively managing time in a dynamic remote work environment
- Is able to address potential time issues
If you’re looking for phrases that will show an employee lacks time management skills to include in performance review for remote employees:
- Struggles to meet deadlines consistently, indicating poor time management skills
- Frequently misses deadlines, causing delays in project completion and negatively impacting the team
- Sets unrealistic timelines for projects, resulting in rushed deliverables
- Often underestimates the time required for tasks, leading to missed deadlines and increased stress
- Appears disorganized in remote work tasks
So, these are the 75 effective employee performance review phrases for remote teams. We hope that this guide will help managers evaluate the core components of behavior and performance.
Customize Your Performance Management Processes with Teamflect
Teamflect allows you to conduct effective and transparent employee performance reviews right inside Microsoft Teams. You can select the template, reviewers, reviewees and start the cycle! Thus you can easily make your performance review process more intuitive with a tool that your employees will love!
You can use Teamflect for;
- Monthly, quarterly, and annual performance reviews
- Onboarding review: 30-day, 60-day, 90-day review
- Company exit review
- Project closure review
- Mentorship program review
- Employee development program review